Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Meehoo with an Exactlywatt


Have I ever told you how much I love Shel Silverstein's poetry and art? Well, I love it a lot. Ever since I picked up Where the Sidewalk Ends in grade school, I have been a huge fan. In fact, I remember writing several papers on Silverstein in high school. I remember being quite surprised that he never intended to write for children and he was in fact, quite an edgy person.

Did you Know?

  • He was born Sheldon Allan "Shel" Silverstein
  • He was not only an American poet and children's author, but he was also a singer-songwriter, musician, composer, cartoonist, and screenwriter
  • He was born in Chicago and began drawing at the age of 5
  • He attended the Art Institute of Chicago for one year before dropping out
  • After a stint in the military, he sold hotdogs in Chicago ballparks- setting a record for the number of hot dogs sold at Thursday night games
  • He had two children, including a daughter who died at age 11
  • He died in 1999 from a heart attack at his home in Key West, Florida
Such an interesting life (and I didn't even get into the edgy stuff- you can read about that for yourself).

I think one of the main reasons why I love Silverstein's work so much is because his humor reminds me a lot of my dad. For instance, the poem below, The Meehoo with an Exactlywatt warms my heart with thoughts of Dad cracking jokes at the dinner table.

Knock knock!

Who's there?

Me!
Me who?
That's right!
What's right? Meehoo!
That's what I want to know!
What's what you want to know?
Me, WHO?
Yes, exactly! Exactly what?
Yes, I have an Exactlywatt on a chain!
Exactly what on a chain?
Yes!
Yes what? No, Exactlywatt!
That's what I want to know!
I told you - Exactlywatt! Exactly WHAT?
Yes!
Yes what? Yes, it's with me!
What's with you?
Exactlywatt - that's what's with me.
Me who?
Yes!
GO AWAY!

Knock knock...


Here is another one of my favorite Shel Silverstein poems from when I was younger, it is called Boa Constrictor:
Oh, I'm being eaten By a boa constrictor,
A boa constrictor,

A boa constrictor,

I'm being eaten by a boa constrictor,
And I don't like it--one bit.

Well, what do you know?

It's nibblin' my toe.
Oh, gee,
It's up to my knee.
Oh my,
It's up to my thigh.
Oh, fiddle,
It's up to my middle.
Oh, heck,
It's up to my neck.
Oh, dread,
It's upmmmmmmmmmmffffffffff . . .

*Just a note- today, I found Shel Silverstein's website for kids. The link is: www.shelsilverstein.com.
This website is a great introduction to Silverstein's work. Kids will love the games and downloads; and adults will love the ideas for teachers and parents about how to interact with his work. Not to mention, the incredibly fun graphics that guide you around are entertaining for all ages. I encourage you to check the website out!

No comments:

Post a Comment