Wednesday, September 8, 2010

You Can Find it on a Stick at the Fair

Today is the first day of the 2010 Sandwich Fair. I was telling someone at work about the fair today and she thought I literally meant a sandwich fair, with all varieties of sandwiches available for consumption. I suppose this was an understandable mistake because Sandwich is a fairly (haha) small town.

I have been attending the Sandwich Fair for as long as I can remember. Each year, my mom's side of the family gathers and helps prepare the fruits and veggies for entry. Hubby and I have been submitting our own entries for three years now.

This year, I managed to pull together seven greeting cards, pear butter, cinnamon peach jam, chocolate zucchini bread, and pumpkin bread. The results of judging have already been revealed to all of the Wednesday fair goers, but I want to wait and discover the results for myself on Friday. When I discover the results, I will let you all know. Fingers crossed please...

In the past, I have won my fair (haha again) share of ribbons. Actually, the first year I had entries, Hubby and I won a purple ribbon for our banana nut bread (overall best quick bread). Last year, I won a blue ribbon for my mexican monkey bread, my salsa, and my triple berry pie. I also won second place in the pork cooking contest with my orange pork tacos, topped with a cabbage slaw.

Beyond the fun of winning ribbons, the things I love most about the fair are seeing all of the animals (especially the cows in the dairy barn), the food, hanging out with my family... and did I mention the food. You can get everything on a stick at the Sandwich Fair. I've had deep fried Snickers on a stick, alligator on a stick, deep fried pickle on a stick, and cheese on a stick. I also love the kettle corn for sale near the Ag Land Stage and the huge cinnamon rolls for sale near the beloved Yellow Building (which houses the home arts). Sure, none of it is healthy, but you have to indulge a bit... it's only once a year.

Hubby and I also enjoy spotting mullets. Over the years, we've made it into a contest- seeing who can spot the longest, most heinous mullet at the fair. We've seen some real winners.

I look forward to sharing my fair stories with you soon. Have a blessed night!

Thanks to everyone who has been praying for my little doggie, Judson. He had a seizure his morning, but after spending the day under observation at the pet hospital- he is home and doing well. Only time will tell if he is going to have any more seizures. Hubby and I really hope not because it was freaky.


No comments:

Post a Comment