Thursday, September 2, 2010

Counting Sheep

Today I am loving my bed. Seriously, I am extremely tired today and all I can think about is my bed. Hubby and I have a queen-sized cedar log bed that we bought the year after we got married. We bought the bed on the internet (I can’t remember the exact website) from an Amish carpenter. The bed was unfinished when it arrived, which helped us keep the cost down and allowed us to stain and varnish it as we liked. In the end, we opted to keep it very natural looking.

Our Simmons Beautyrest mattress and box spring came from Craigslist. While I do not approve of how Craigslist has become a thoroughfare for sex trafficking, I will acknowledge that you can get some great deals if you are quick on the trigger. At first I was leery of buying a mattress and box spring sight unseen, but we managed to find a young lady who had just bought some and then didn’t need them. 

When we went to pick up our bed set (of course she lived near the top of a high rise) we found out that her boyfriend had invited her to move in with him… in London, so there was no way she was going to ship her new mattress and box spring. The transaction worked out well for everyone: she got some cash for her move overseas, she emptied more of her apartment, and we gained a practically new mattress and box spring for $250 (they retail new for over a thousand).

On top of our mattress, Hubby and I use a memory foam topper from Bed, Bath & Beyond. Although our mattress has a pillow top, the memory foam really helps my neck and shoulder (more on why my neck needs extra special TLC in a post-soon-to-come). Also, Hubby has mentioned that the memory foam keeps him from rolling around at night.

When it comes to sheets, I like using flannel sheets in the winter and smooth cotton sheets in the warmer months like my mom has always done. I love finding fun, colorful sheets to dress up the bed. In addition, I try to buy a good balance between girly and more masculine sheets as an ode to my love. He has never complained about sleeping on pink, flowery sheets before, but I think it is only fair that I also spend some time sleeping on sheets with a manlier vibe.

In celebration of my love of beds, here are some others that make me delightfully groggy:








No comments:

Post a Comment