Sunday, September 26, 2010

A Show to Set my Watch By

The Amazing Race is by far my favorite show on television. The show includes a lot of my favorite things- travel, intercultural communication, zany competition, and reality television. What isn't there to love? As it so happens, the premiere of season 17 starts this very night, just as soon as 60 Minutes is over.

Fueling my excitement for the show is the viral video of a competitor getting smashed in the face by a watermelon. If you haven't seen the clip- it'll make you cringe. I wasn't a part of the million plus people who watched the video on Youtube, but I saw the young lady being interviewed on the morning news and thankfully- she is fine. Not to spoil the video if you haven't seen it, but it is just amazing to me that she is able to recover after that huge watermelon backfires on her out of the catapult. In the interview, she explained that she was quite shaken, but she was determined to continue on with her race.

There have been a lot of moments during past seasons of The Amazing Race where competitors have faced seemingly insurmountable tasks. A lot of competitors end up dropping out of the race or give up- I can remember one girl who was scared of heights and so, she wouldn't go down a huge water slide- eliminating her team. But, there are also competitors who rise up and tackle their fears- like a girl who couldn't swim, but she jumped in a pool and swam laps anyway. When I watch the show, I always cheer the racers on; no one likes to see people overcome and defeated.

Following The Amazing Race is Undercover Boss, which is another great show. I don't love Undercover Boss as much as The Amazing Race, but it is noteworthy. I appreciate that the bosses are willing to discover what is going on in every level of their business. Then, at the end of each episode, the undercover boss surprises his/her employees and gives them some kind of offering. There were quite a few touching moments during the last season.

The show is about to begin, so I am going to sign off.... I wish you a wonderful fall night, filled with delicious caramel apples and great competition. Blessings...


No comments:

Post a Comment