Monday, October 4, 2010

A Shout Out for the Blue & Orange

Homecoming Weekend is over for another year. I am glad to see it go, although it was fun while it lasted. It was a very busy weekend.

On Friday, the school was dedicating its new science center; a monstrous building that is built around the concepts of light and air. It is a very modern building throughout. I was particularly impressed with the dual flush converters in all of the bathrooms (I didn’t verify this, but I am guessing it is so- based on the one restroom I was in).

I attended the dedication of the school’s Foucault pendulum, the Medical Sciences department and the main building dedication. I particularly enjoyed the pendulum dedication because it was a direct result of the senior class gift from last year, which I was involved with. I like seeing the end result of my labor.

After the Science Center dedications, I ran over to the Homecoming Welcome Center, which was located indoors this year (hooray). Friday night was a tad bit slow in the Welcome Center, but it was nice to watch old friends reconnecting and catching up with one another.

After my brief stint in the Welcome Center, I was off to the Alumni Coffee House that was being held in the school commons for the second year. I enjoy the coffee house because again, I get to watch everyone reconnecting, but more so- because I get free yummy drinks. I’m serious- I drank three big glasses of cranberry apple cider and one steaming cup of vanilla latte mixed with hot chocolate. Delicious!

I got home from the coffee house around 10pm and hit the hay- hard. I woke up and was back at the Welcome Center by 8am Saturday morning. I was anticipating a good number of people picking up their event tickets on Saturday, but we were way busier than I anticipated! When I wasn’t handing out name tags, selling tickets, or directing people to the bathroom- I was trying to keep count on how many different strollers went by my table. I lost count at 321. Geesh!

Saturday was very cold and I am so grateful I wasn’t assigned to work at the outside barbeque. I overheard from the Alumni staff that it was so windy outside that the caterer’s tents blew over and broke. While my coworkers were outside freezing their britches off, I was tucked away all cozy warm across from the school’s cafĂ©!

Saturday night found me helping out at the Class of 2000’s taco dinner held in one of the school’s large gymnasiums. It was a fun event and if you’ll remember- it was my friend’s class event (the one who is getting married next week). I was able to meet her fiancĂ© and see a couple of other acquaintances as well. Overall, the event was a success. We only had 13 no shows and 34 walk-up guests. The gym was definitely full and probably half of the guests were under the age of 10. There were a lot of kids!

If I had to pick out a favorite part of Homecoming Weekend, it would be watching the opposing team’s fans tailgating in the parking lot after the football game. Hubby came to rescue me in between the Welcome Center and the Class of 2000 event on Saturday. We did some resale shopping and then we sat in our recently rejuvenated car (more on this later…) and watched the fans. We thought the opposing team had won the game the way that they were laughing and smoking cigars (on campus mind you- tisk tisk). Come to find out later- they absolutely got whomped by the home team (woo hoo). I guess they are just happy people. That… or they were sipping a little something special out of their team cups… just some speculation.

So, that was my Homecoming Weekend. I hope you enjoyed the recap. Blessings…

No comments:

Post a Comment