Friday, October 15, 2010

Good Morning Mouse

Last night I could not fall asleep. For some reason, I was wired.

To make the situation worse, I woke up extremely early this morning and couldn’t nod off again. At 5:50am I finally gave up trying to fall back asleep and went downstairs. I realize that for some people, 6am is a perfectly normal time to wake up, but that is early for me. I normally roll out of bed at 7:10am.

What did I do at such an early hour? I decided to carve a pumpkin! I promise that this made total sense at the time. Today is National Boss Day and I had the ingenious idea of carving “Happy Boss’s Day” into a pumpkin that I had picked up at Aldi (for only $1.99- awesome). I think this would have turned out to be a meaningful gesture, but in the middle of the word “happy”, I saw a little head pop out from behind the radiator. At first I thought I was delusional, seeing things due to lack of sleep. Unfortunately, the little head popped out again- A MOUSE!

I was surprisingly calm when I saw it, but then I started thinking about how I was standing only two feet away from it with bare feet…. What if it decided to run at me and climb up my leg… or bite my foot (this was totally irrational I know, but it was early).

In the end, I did the only thing I could- I ran to the bottom of the stairs and screeched, “Honey, there is a mouse in the kitchen!!!”

Groggily, he replied, “Are you sure?”

“YESSSS!!!” I screeched back.

“OK.”

“OK? Aren’t you going to come down here and catch it?”

Snoring…. Hmmm, he was obviously going to be of no help. I then tried to get my little dog, Judson, to catch the mouse, but the mouse had already disappeared by the time Judson caught the scent.

Now, I have a pumpkin sitting out by the front door that says “Happy Day”.

You see, I didn’t have enough time left after the mouse fiasco, to finish carving the entire phrase “Happy Boss’s Day.”

C'est la vie.

No comments:

Post a Comment