Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Souper Dooper


I love some great soup. More specifically, I love delicious autumnal soup. When I think of fall, I think of pumpkin soup, loaded baked potato soup, beef vegetable soup, butternut squash soup and now- surprisingly, sweet potato soup.
I had never heard of sweet potato soup until I went to lunch at the school’s commons the other day and I saw it steaming on the salad bar line. I thought, I have to try it and so, I did. It was incredibly soothing and sweet!
I want you to be able to try it too, so I am including the following recipe for Sweet Potato Soup courtesy of Cooking Live magazine:
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Serves: 4 servings

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth, if desired)
  • 1 tablespoon light brown sugar (or more depending on how sweet you want it)
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked sweet potatoes
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 cup milk
  • Salt
Directions
In a heavy saucepot, over medium-low heat, cook the flour and butter, stirring constantly until roux achieves a light caramel color. Add the broth and brown sugar, bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Stir in the sweet potatoes and spices, bring to a simmer again, and cook for 5 minutes more. In a blender, puree the soup in batches and return to saucepot. Add the milk, and reheat soup. Season with salt and pepper, ladle into warm soup bowls and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment