Thursday, October 7, 2010

Something Other Than Myself

Halloween is just around the corner. What this means for me is that I need to start thinking about costume ideas for Hubby and me. Usually, I dress up the pooches for the costume contest at Petco, but I have decided to spare them this year.

I am not huge into Halloween like my older sister is- they go all out for the occasion. I prefer to decorate the house with pumpkins, mums, gourds, scarecrows and maybe a raven here and there (I posted more on this a while back). I do love to don a good costume though, particularly of the handcrafted variety.

Here's what I put together in the past five years:

2005: I was a pumpkin and Hubby was himself (I couldn't get him to wear anything this year).
2006: I dressed up like a giant bumblebee and Hubby was a bee-keeper (he caved).
2007: I dressed up like a giant marshmallow and Hubby was a campfire (unfortunately, everyone thought he was a volcano and I was a cloud... sad).
2008: I dressed up like Wilma Flintstone and Hubby was Fred Flintstone (this was my favorite).
2009: I was supposed to be "raining cats and dogs", but my costume got destroyed getting into the car, so I ended up being a wandering
troubadour. Hubby was a used cars salesman.

So... the big question is- What are we going to be THIS year? Can you guess it?

OCTOPI! Or octopuses; according to Merriam Webster both are correct.

Anyway, I found a pattern on Martha Stewart's website for these wonderful octopus costumes and I couldn't resist. Hubby was a hard sell, but he'll put the costume on for the costume party (every year we attend a costume party held at a friend's house). I am excited to get them made and when I do, I'll post a picture for your enjoyment (i.e. amusement).

Until then, enjoy these wonderful costume ideas made with someone else's sweat and tears:
































Commentary on the pics above: 1)
It's a gloworm! This is a shout-out to my little sis... She'll know why. 2) The croc costume is outstanding... very clever. 3) Having a sweatshirt/sweatpants base is always a plus when crafting your own costume. 4) The sheep costume is adorable. 5) Pippi!! This makes me wish I had longer red hair and striped stockings. I would totally do this. 6) Love, love, love the moose costume.


I hope these outfits get your creative process going, whether you dress up for Halloween or not. Blessings on your Thursday!

2 comments:

  1. I knew I knew what it was. Totally doing that when I have a baby, lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you would like it. It's so darn wonderful.

    ReplyDelete