Friday, August 13, 2010

Tomaters...


I absolutely love fresh, organic produce! I especially love when it comes out of my own garden, but alas- I do not have a garden this year. Hubby and I decided we have so many house renovations to tackle that we can't care for a garden this summer. It was the right choice to make, but every time I pass a garden brimming with fruits and veggies- I get a tad bit regretful.

So imagine my delight, when I came into work this morning to find a bunch of homegrown, plump, red tomatoes up for grabs in the kitchen. Out of a begrudging fairness to everyone else, I only took one tomato, but it is fairly large.

Now, the question is- WHAT DO I MAKE WITH IT? I've already had several thoughts.

I love bruschetta, so that is one possibility. I particularly enjoy very garlicky bruschetta with good extra virgin olive oil (like what we got at the Queen Creek Olive Mill in Arizona. If you have never been there- check it out @ queencreekolivemill.com. They have amazing food and have been featured on The Food Network several times).

I am also toying with the thought of making grilled tomatoes with fresh mozzarella. Hubby and I love to grill some freshly sliced tomatoes drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper. When the slices get good grill marks (we always use charcoal), we add fresh mozzarella to the top and let it get a bit melty. Grilled tomato and mozzarella is great to eat on its own, or on top of our favorite crusty bread.

The last possibility I've thought of for this plump tomato is my blue ribbon salsa (the blue ribbon was won at the Sandwich Fair last year- more to come on the fair shortly). The tomato would make a small batch, but it would be great served with some enchiladas or tacos over the weekend.

Just to be a king blogger- here is my blue ribbon salsa recipe:



Ingredients:
1/2 red onion, finely diced
1 jalapeƱo chili pepper (stems, ribs, seeds removed), finely diced
1 serano chili pepper (stems, ribs, seeds removed), finely diced optional depending on how hot you want it
Juice of one lime
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: oregano and or cumin to taste
2-3 medium sized fresh tomatoes (from 1 lb to 1 1/2 lb), stems removed, finely diced

Mixing it all together:

Start by chopping up 2-3 medium sized fresh tomatoes. Then, carefully prepare the chilies. If you can, avoid touching the chillies with your hands because they can burn! Use a fork to cut up the chilies over a small plate, or use a paper towel to protect your hands. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and hot water after handling and avoid touching your eyes for several hours (believe you me). Set aside some of the seeds from the peppers. If the salsa isn't hot enough, you can add a few for heat.

Combine all of the ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Take a taste. If the chilies make the salsa too hot, add some more chopped tomato. If not hot enough, carefully add a few of the seeds from the chilies, or add some ground cumin.


Let sit for an hour for the flavors to combine.


Makes approximately 3-4 cups.


All of these ideas sound so delicious- I might have to go to the store and buy some more organic tomaters. I'll let you know how I ended up eating this particular winner later on...


Blessings on your weekend!

1 comment: