Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Knock Knock... Who's There?

It's me ...To tell you how much I am loving red front doors today! Believe me, this is not as random as it seems. My hubby and I are finally around to painting our front porch and our front door. Up until now, our front door has been that dull, light gray color all new (non-wood) doors come in- directly from Menards.

It took me quite a while to pick out just the right colors for our porch, but especially for our front door. I mean think about it... the first thing people notice when they come over to our house is the front porch (including the door). And people who are driving by really only get that quick front-of-the-house impression. I want our house to make people smile because they are thinking:
What a great home!
It looks so inviting!
I wish I was going to visit that house!
Those people know what's going on style-wise!

What did I finally decide on? Our house has light blue (metal) siding and so, I picked colors that would complement the light blue and brighten up the front of the house a bit. As a bonus, whatever we can do to draw attention away from the fact that our house says "Howard is gay" up by the roof- the better (why haven't we tried to get rid of that yet- I have no idea... and who is Howard?). After looking at hundreds of color cards, I chose red for the front door (red delicious by Glidden) and a darker, smoky blue for the porch (paint name to come).

I took the initiative to paint two coats of red on the front door while Hubby was off visiting friends. When he came home he was very surprised by my handy work and much to my delight- complemented my on my cutting-in skills around the door handles and locks. At first the red was very bright and awful, but the more coats we put on- the darker the red gets.

As of right now, the door is not finished being painted because Hubby decided the Glidden paint is a bear to work with (he is a Benjamin Moore painter through and through and I trust him). As soon as I can get it finished, I will post a stellar before and after photo.

For your enjoyment- here are some other red doors that triggered my imagination and tickled my fancy bone:







































*For those of you who are wondering- Hubby and I went out to my uncle's house and ended up coming home with 3 more pounds of plump, ripe tomatoes. Now that I have so many, I am going to make them into my blue ribbon salsa and can 'em. Yum yum!

1 comment:

  1. Here's an update (10/13/10)- the front porch and front door are still not completed. We have a couple of coats on the front door, but it isn't turning out like we hoped. We have some trouble-shooting to do and as soon as it is completed- I promise I will share the whole grizzly story.

    ReplyDelete