Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Finishing Well

Today I want to dedicate my post to my grandma. Grandma went home to heaven on Sunday morning. It was almost two years to the month that my grandpa died. From what I heard through the grapevine, Grandma was eagerly anticipating meeting her Savior. Knowing that she was ready and excited, helps put my heart at ease and helps me know that Grandma finished her race strong and well.

In my Evangelistic Leadership and Mentoring class this past week, we talked a lot about the concept of finishing well; finishing well in job situations, in relationships and in life. As the Bible says:


Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:1-2
Grandma ran a long race- eighty-three years here on earth. She endured hard times in the death of one of her children, making due with limited income, a broken marriage, and the passing of her own grandparents, parents, siblings and her husband (my grandpa). She also enjoyed many joyous moments, like the birth of her six children, her marriage to my grandpa, numerous grandchildren, and her salvation story.

I have very many fond memories of Grandma. She held a very special place in my heart, especially because my other grandma died when I was just four. Grandma and Grandpa lived just six miles from my childhood home and I was always out at their house with my sisters. Grandma always had crafts for us to make and make-believe games we could play.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't all cupcakes and happiness. I remember one time my older sister and I were staying at her house and we were supposed to be going to camp during the day, but one particular day I didn't want to go. Grandma allowed me to stay home with her, but she got after me for not wanting to finish my scrambled eggs that she had made. Bless her heart, but she wasn't the best cook (except for her mashed potatoes, which were divine). I think that might have been the only time she spanked me. Honestly, I deserved it and I always ate my eggs after that.

Grandma helped raise me, she taught me to enjoy God's creation and to take joy in the little things. She taught me to knit, crochet and perm hair. She taught me to get my point across, but how to choose my battles. She taught me by example through her own actions. She was a blessing and I look forward to seeing her again. My life was richer for having had her as a grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment