Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Peanuts! Get your Peanuts here!

Growing up in a small town, my newspaper was always missing its most vital component- the cartoons! You can imagine then, what a treat it was to visit my grandpa's house near Chicago. Every Sunday I would wait for the mailman (seeing a mailman was a treat in and of itself because we didn't have those back home either) and then I would run to the mailbox to grab the paper before my sisters. We would fight over who could read the cartoons first.

My two very favorite cartoons have always been Peanuts by Charles Schulz and The Family Circus by Bil Keane.






















I also have a bit of a soft spot for Marmaduke and Mutts.

Now that I am older, married and living in a house of my own- my husband and I get the paper every Sunday. I like to read through the entertainment section, the editorials, some of the main headlines, but my favorite section has and always will be the cartoons. My husband, who likes to read the sports section and cut coupons, always sets the cartoons aside for me.

The fifteen minutes it takes me to get through my weekly funnies is like a mini-vacation from adulthood. When I read the comics, it is like I am five again, twirling on my grandpa's big orange chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment