Wednesday, July 21, 2010

School's Out for the Summer (or is it?)


You walk outside today and you see kids running through sprinklers and college students working at the local pool. Everyone is on vacation for the summer.... Everyone but me.

Over the past three years I have been diligently chipping away at my masters program. I am attempting to get a masters degree in Intercultural Studies. Intercultural what? Intercultural Studies is basically the study of missions and serving in different cultures. It is an amazing program with amazing professors, but it is unfortunate that once you reach the masters level, summer break kind of flies out the window.

I should clarify that I could have a summer break if I wanted one, but then I would be looking at adding one more semester before graduation (no way Jose!).

So, here I am... the day before my summer class will commence. This summer I am taking a three day intensive. I will have class from 8:30 to 5:30 on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Before you start poo-pooing my lament about a lost summer, you should know I have already completed three pre-class assignments and there will be another paper due two weeks after the class is over.

Why take intensives? It is so that I don't have to take too much time off of work. To be honest though, they are not my favorite. I am a thinker, I like time to process. Intensives cram as much information into your brain as you can possibly stand and then some. I normally do not get done processing all of the class information until weeks after the class is over.

So think of me as you rest in your hammock, sipping lemonade on Saturday. I will be studiously type-type-typing away on my Mac- taking copious notes about leadership and mentoring and who knows what else.

What do I love today? Getting a couple credits closer to graduation!

No comments:

Post a Comment