Friday, July 23, 2010

It's Raining... It's pouring... I know an old man somewhere must be snoring!

If my grandpa was still alive he would be telling someone to go outside in the rain, but not to get wet today. He always loved that saying and he would quote it to me whenever I was about to run out and jump off the pier at his cabin. He was such a teaser.

Today I am thinking about Grandpa because it is raining cats and dogs outside. Around 6:30am this morning I was startled awake by some serious lightening, but it didn't seem like that much water was coming down. Then, when my husband was driving me to class this morning, we were flabbergasted by the amount of standing water. We live in a relatively low area, but we have never seen flooding like we did on the ride over. We saw three cars with water up to their middle and then we saw one truck that actually got stuck on Main Street and had to be abandoned!

When we arrived at my school building/workplace (same structure), the parking lot was shut because it had been transformed into a lake! I wish I had picked up my camera this morning, to record all of the chaos. I am not the best photographer, but I fancy myself a closeted-photojournalist. I did manage to take some video of the parking lot and if I can figure out how to upload it, I will.

In the meantime, I hope my husband made it back home. He had our little nephew with him and that adds pressure for safe driving (not having kids of our own, our anxiety levels tend to shoot up whenever a little person steps into our car). It was so funny, but on the way to school, the little guy kept saying "we're a boat!". It was a fairly accurate statement.

Blessings on your rainy day!



No comments:

Post a Comment