Sunday, December 19, 2010

Rare Sunday Post

I normally don't blog on Sunday because Hubby and I set it aside as a special day for the two of us to attend church, rest, catch up on light house cleaning, and generally love on our pooches. Today however, I am up to my elbows in cookie dough. This is our designated cookie bake-till-you-drop day.

I finished the snickerdoodles earlier (a last minute addition) and we are just wrapping up the baking of the sugar cookies now. I feel like I haven't sat down in ages, so I am going to take a minute and blurt out a quick blog entry just for a moment of rest.

The real insanity in this day is that we have also decided to throw together a feast of a lunch. On Friday night, Hubby made the most delicious pot roast (I blogged the recipe a while back). We have plenty of leftovers, so this morning (when I was still feeling energetic and overly excited about being in the kitchen) I decided we would have pot roast sandwiches for lunch-served on homemade onion rolls. I also decided to go with green bean casserole and broccoli rice casserole as sides. I convinced myself that it would be like our mini-Christmas meal for just the two of us.

What sounded like such a great idea this morning, quickly morphed into a nightmare in our tiny kitchen. We were rotating four baking sheets for the cookies and trying to wedge in a saute pan for onions, a pot for the rice and one for the broccoli, a dish for the green bean casserole, and I was trying to keep up with the dishes (in the sink and in the dishwasher). Aghhhh! It is amazing I haven't singed my eyebrows off the way we've been whipping hot pans and baking sheets around the kitchen.

At the moment however, we are at peace because the casseroles are in the oven with the leftover pot roast, the onion rolls are waiting, and the last batch of sugar cookies are on the cooling rack.

I would say the most positive outcomes of this day thus far, is the way the house smells (incredible- I wish you could smell it) and the heat from the kitchen- which is heating the whole house thoroughly despite the freezing cold weather outside (if my little sister was here- she might actually be comfortable instead of cold like always).

Blessings on your Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment