Friday, December 10, 2010

A Bed for your Head When you Visit


Tonight, Hubby and I are going to pick up our brand new-to-us daybed for my craft room. I found the daybed on good ‘ole Craigslist and you’ll never believe how it all worked out. Here’s the low-down:
For quite a long time now, I have been searching high and low for a daybed to put in my craft room. Ideally, I want a white daybed frame to match my (still undiscovered) desk , I want the bed to be able to fit a trundle underneath or to come with one, I want to find one that comes with excellent condition mattresses, and I want to pay only up to a hundred bucks. It’s a tall order, even for Craigslist, but I feel pretty strongly about all of my criteria- like the trundle. A trundle is the perfect solution for my little room; allowing it to transform easily from a craft room into a guest room that can accommodate at least 2 people.
My fervent search has been turning up nothing. Do you ever find that when you aren’t looking for anything in particular- you can find a hundred items you love that are at a great price, but you just don’t need them? Then, when you are looking for something specific you need- there is nothing you like? Welcome to my world…
Anyway, on Monday night I was taking a study break (I had a huge exam yesterday). I decided to peruse Craigslist. Right now, I have three key words I always search for: daybed, patio furniture and porch swing. When I typed in daybed, a lot of options came up, but one caught my attention in particular: White Wicker Daybed incl. mattress - $100.
I clicked on the link and read the description: Lightly used white wicker daybed. Comes with mattress for main bed and for pull-out bed, both in excellent condition. Very sturdy piece; must have large vehicle to haul. The bed is currently disassembled, but includes all hardware. Asking $100.
I couldn’t believe it; it was exactly what I was asking for. I e-mailed the people right away, hoping that the daybed was still for sale. Craigslist items can sell so fast and not everyone deletes their posting once an item has sold. Once I had sent the e-mail, it occurred to me that if it was available, I would have no way to pick the bed up (it is approx. ½ hour away from our house). I wondered aloud to Hubby if maybe his good friend, Josh, could haul the bed in his big truck because he works in the town where the bed is currently located.
Only ten minutes went by until I received an e-mail in my in-box; it was from Christine, Josh’s wife. Can you believe it- they were the one’s posting the daybed on Craigslist and we had no idea! Christine had actually posted the bed for her mom. It was just meant to be all around.
So now, Hubby is driving up to meet Josh tonight to load the daybed and bring it to our house, minus the main mattress. Christine’s mom decided she wants to keep the top mattress. This is fine with me because that knocks the price for the bed down to $75 and we can borrow a friend’s twin mattress until we can afford to buy a new one.
Now, the only thing standing between me and my brand new-to-me daybed is a couple of hours; that is unless Christine goes into labor (her due date is Monday). In that case, I will welcome their little newest addition and gladly wait a little longer for my bed (note I said gladly, not patiently).

1 comment: