Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Vegan Chocolate?

It will come as no shock to my faithful readers that Hubs and I have been eating a lot healthier this year. We have slimmer physiques to prove it. In fact, I am celebrating not only my birthday this weekend, but 73 pounds lost!

Did you hear that? It was me whooping with joy. I have so much to praise God for this year. So much to celebrate…


So let’s start now. I want to share a new favorite recipe with you. I got this recipe from a co-worker of mine. She brought these treats in to work the other day and after tasting one, I was hooked. They are crispy brown rice squares- similar to my old fall-back, the rice crispy treat. Only, these treats are much less sweet (which I find delightful) and they are vegan. That’s right- vegan. Or at least, my co-worker made them vegan, although she promised me they can also be made non-vegan (so if you love yourself some dairy- stay with me).


My co-worker got this recipe from a cookbook she owns, written by Alicia Silverstone (you know- from Clueless). I declare-- She may be known for being clueless, but this recipe tells me she knows deliciousness. I am whipping up a batch of these squares tomorrow, so that I can take them to the 3K race this Saturday. They will be our congratulatory treat for completing the race.


Don’t be put off by the ingredients list- give ‘em a try. You won’t regret it.

Alicia Silverstone's Crispy Brown Rice Squares
April 2008
48 servings, Prep: 10 minutes, Cooking time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups brown rice syrup (available at health food stores)
Pinch of sea salt
3/4 cup natural peanut butter or almond butter
7 cups whole grain brown crisped rice cereal (1 box)
1/2 cup carob chips (or vegan chocolate chips or regular for non-vegans)
Oil spray, for greasing

Directions:
In a small saucepan, heat the rice syrup and sea salt over low heat until liquefied. Add the peanut butter and cook, stirring, until well combined and heated through but not boiling, about 5 minutes.
Pour the cereal into a large bowl. Using a rubber spatula, stir the peanut butter mixture and carob/chocolate chips into the cereal. Make sure the peanut butter mixture is completely cooled before adding the carob/chocolate chips or you'll end up with melted chocolate and not nice, clean chips in your treats.
Lightly spray a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Transfer the crispy rice mixture to the baking dish, pressing into an even layer. Let cool for 1 hour before cutting into squares. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment