Sunday, August 28, 2011

Boom

I did it! It was exhaustingly awesome!

When we first arrived at the race (at 7am), I was totally intimidated because there were a lot of serious runners already warming up for the 10k. I personally felt totally lost until we found my cousin and she was able to explain what she had already done to check-in. Even so, Hubs and I got in the wrong check-in line. We were standing in the 10k line and not the 3k, so it took a while for the volunteer to find our bags. 10K- no way!

When we finally got our numbers and swag bags, we went back outside to warm-up and amp ourselves up. We spent most of the time talking about our goal to just finish the darn race running. It was hard to keep focused though because everyone walking around looked so much more capable and likely for success. I'm serious, there were some very hard core runners at this race. When all was said and done- there were 623 runners (almost all in the 10K). There were all the tall lanky guys in their too-short running shorts and then a lot of girls wearing spandex and sports bras-- all with ipods jamming their warm-up tunes. I also want to give a shout-out to the older crowd. There were quite a few older participants (by older I mean probably 70+) and the majority were in the 10K as well.... I just wish some of them had left their spandex and shorty-shorts at home (yikes).

When the announcer called for all the 3K runners to line up, Hubs, Cousin and I headed over to the starting line. We purposely wanted to stand towards the back because we didn't want to get trampled by the kids that were running. When we were all lined up, they did the singing of the national anthem and then an official countdown. I felt like we had been standing around for hours waiting to line up, but then the last moments before the horn went off were like nanoseconds.

I shot out of the gate ahead of Hubs and my cousin. My co-worker (who was participating with his wife) started out at the head of the pack and stayed there until the end. Hubs said I was really booking it when I started. I felt like I was running at a comfortable pace, but it wasn't too long before I slowed way down. By the time I rounded the first corner, I was thinking--oh crap, I can't do this. It was a total mind war the whole time. I just kept telling myself to get to the next corner, get to the water station, get to the next tree. I think at one point, I was running so slow I could have been crawling, but I never stopped running and I am so proud of that fact. It also helped that my cousin's husband was riding around to different spots in the race to snap photos. If it was going to be captured on film for prosperity - I had better be running.

When the starting line first came back into view, Hubs passed me up. I was totally peeved and it worked to my advantage because when I hit that last little section- I was able to motivate myself to fall into a fast sprint-- I gave it everything I had left. It was my hands down favorite moment of the race. When the crowd saw me pick up speed, I actually heard the spectators begin to cheer louder. One blessed, random stranger yelled out, "She's going for it-RUN!" Other people were ringing cow bells and I heard my co-worker yell, "Go Lacey!" It was a complete Chariots of Fire meets Cool Runnings moment as I half ran/half fell across the finish.

I passed the finish line at 18 minutes, 30 seconds. That means I was running 9.15 minute miles. My fastest time yet! Hubs crossed right behind me and Cousin right behind him. Each of us completed the race having run the entire thing. I know it was just a 3K and not the 10K, but I feel like a total winner!








1 comment:

  1. Way to go Lacey!! That's so great. You are on your way to the Hot Chocolate race now.

    ReplyDelete