Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Flour, Eggs, Canning Jars?

The Fair is just around the corner. Literally... it's next week. I'm still in shock.

For some reason, it has completely caught me off guard this year. Normally, I begin my preparations weeks ahead of time. This year however, I didn't realize until Monday at 11am that I only have one week left to complete all of my entries. Imagine the panic.

I'm being pretty ambitious this year too. I'm not entering any of my cards (I just can't handle it emotionally-- I get too attached to them and then when they don't place-- it makes me so upset), but I am entering all kinds of food stuffs. Here's the checklist:

Pineapple jam (1/2 pint jar)
Hot salsa (pint jar)
Mild salsa (pint jar) -past blue ribbon winner
Dill pickles (pint jar)
Apple muffins (3 selected best)
Blueberry corn muffins (3 selected best)
Apple nut bread (1 loaf, unsliced) 
Carrot cake (uncut)
Oat bread (1 loaf, unsliced)
Pumpkin bread (1 loaf, unsliced)
Banana bread (1 loaf, no nuts, unsliced) -this was my purple ribbon winner 3 years ago and I want to see if it really is a winning recipe or if it was just a lucky year
 
On Monday, when I was in a panic, I was able to punch out all of my canning. Looking back, I can't believe I was able to accomplish it all (and successfully at that). The kitchen was a crazy mess and I was melting- standing over a hot stove for 5 whole hours. My back hurt considerably on Tuesday, but now that it is Wednesday- I feel ready to jump into my baking.

My goal for tonight is to assemble all of my recipes and take a kitchen inventory. The worst is getting halfway through a recipe and discovering I'm missing an ingredient. This has happened to me too many times to count (the last time being the great lasagna mishap of two weeks ago- I didn't have any ricotta or eggs--What was I thinking!?!)

The majority of my baking will be completed this Sunday after church. I want the bread/muffins/cake to be as fresh as possible for Tuesday judging and I have to turn my entries in on Monday (Labor Day). I've toyed with baking Monday morning, but I think it would be a disaster-- Too stressful for me and super, super stressful for Hubs who would have to deal with my shenanigans. I know myself too well.

Wish me happy baking- I need it!


No comments:

Post a Comment