Saturday, August 13, 2011

{Insert soundtrack from Chariots of Fire here}

Here's an unbelievable announcement- Hubs and I are running... for exercise! Not only that, but we are training to run in two (you heard me- two) races.

Back in May, I got the idea to start training for a race at the end of the summer. I figured that setting a goal would help me stay on track with my weight loss throughout the summer, especially since it has only gotten harder to shed the pounds.

I immediately went online and began searching for a manageable race. I knew we (Hubs was enthusiastic about the idea of running and came on board) weren't going to be ready for a marathon. Hubs felt the same way, so he suggested a 5K. Looking online, I found a 5K on Thanksgiving day- a Turkey Trot. I love it! Instead of spending the day gorging ourselves, we'll spend an hour--hour and a half in the morning- cranking out a run. Awesome.

Further investigating found a 3K the day before my birthday (at the end of August). This race is out in the country, appropriately called The Corn Classic. A 3K is approximately 1.8 miles. We figured this race would be great practice for our Thanksgiving 5K.

What will make the 3K really fun is that I have several coworkers who are going to run with us. My cousin is also driving out to run it as her first race as well. I love that we'll all be able to cheer each other on.

I know a 3K might not sound like a lot, but I have to tell you- I used to hate running. We had to run laps every other week in school and I dreaded it. Now that I am training, we are running every other day. At first, it sucked as much as running laps during school, but now I can see improvement in my ability to recover and I can push a little farther. As of today, we have run a complete 3K twice. Just hours ago, we finished our 3K in 23-25 minutes!

Will I keep running after our races? My guess is no. I still don't love it. I prefer cycling. But, I will say this- running is great for toning. My gams are looking good.

1 comment: