Monday, June 4, 2012

Trying a Tri

It was approximately one year ago that I first heard of the SheROX Triathlon Series.  The SheROX is a sprint distance triathlon for women that draws about 1,800 competitors each year.  My sister-in-law has been running this race for a number of years, but I was told about it by one of my coworkers who ran a similar race last year.

When my coworker first mentioned the SheROX, I thought it sounded like a fun challenge and I verbally committed to run it with her.  At the time, the SheROX was a distant event.  I had plenty of time to prepare…  That was then.

This is now.  One week away.  I’m terrified.

Not that I haven’t been training.  When the Ironman Challenge was introduced at work.  I signed up knowing it would be good training for the triathlon.  And I really enjoyed all of the elements—the running, the biking, and the swimming.  In fact, I loved it so much that when registration opened for the SheTROX in January 2012, I bit the bullet and paid the nonrefundable $90 entrance fee.

Unfortunately, as soon as I signed up I found out my race partner was preggers.  Sie la vie... I was now running the race solo (my sister-in-law’s out of the race because she just had a baby--it's a girl).

But back to training: I've been running (2 to 4 miles twice a week), lifting weights, running the stadium stairs at the College, riding my sister-in-law's bike to work and back (12 miles round trip), doing P90X with my lunchtime workout group, and swimming laps whenever I can get into a pool.

The thing is, I am feeling really confident in each individual event.  What I'm not so sure about is doing them all consecutively.  Surrounded by 1,800 other, competitive women.  With thousands watching.  In my swimsuit and tiny running shorts.  ‘Nough said.

To boost my confidence, I've gathered a rally team composed of Hubs, my brother and sister-in-law, their kids, Hub's parents, and some of our friends.  There’s even the chance that one of my other coworkers, Mary, will run with me to finish the race (if she can get past security).  She mentioned she might try and I’m hoping she does because I feel like I'm going to need her energy to get across the finish line.

So here I am…One week away.  The adrenaline hasn’t kicked in yet.  I am running on nerves and coffee.  Yet, I am prepared.  I have my checklists that detail everything I need for the race and for my transition area.  I have my bike prepped (thank you, Jill), my outfit picked out, and I even made Hubs a t-shirt that exclaims "My wife ROX!".  

I know I can do this.  My goal is to finish strong knowing I’ve done my best. 

1 Corinthians 9:24 says, “Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize?  Run in such a way as to get the prize.”   

I’m running for the prize for sure, which for me is to not end up in the emergency room with heat stroke.





No comments:

Post a Comment