Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A Triathlete is Born

I've done it! I am a certified triathlete (or sprint triathlete anyway).

There is a lot to share with you and I don't want to leave anything out.  To accomplish that, I am going to approach the race timeline-style.

I know, I know--Everyone is dying to know how I did at the triathlon, but to get the whole picture I first need to share about my Saturday.  Here goes...


Saturday, June 9th

8am- Hubs and I wake up to our screaming alarm, scramble to get ready for the day and head over to Hub's brother's house to watch our 3 year old nephew, Noah, and his new little sister, Kaylee.  This is a last minute change to our plans because Hub's father fell and injured his back, so Hub's parents couldn't watch the kids as planned.


8:30am- Hubs and Noah are in the backyard having a duel with Nerf swords.  I am in the dining room getting Kaylee ready to go to the SheROX Expo to check in for the triathlon and pick up my race packet.  I grab a bottle and get Kaylee fed while Noah takes Hubs down with a move Zorro would be proud of.


9:30am- Hubs and I strap Noah and Kaylee into their mom's mini van and set out for the Expo.  5 minutes out, I realize I forgot to grab Kaylee an extra bottle from the fridge, so we make a quick trip back by the house.  Extra bottle in hand, we rock out to toddler tunes all the way to the Expo.  The ants go marching 2 by 2, hurrah, hurrah...

10am- We arrive at the Expo and the place is already packed.  It is not at all like I expected; it's just like a carnival or fair filled with booths, music, and lots of people.  Our first stop is to the Dunkin Donuts van for free iced coffee samples-- My training packet said to start hydrating the day before the race and this seems a good way to begin.  Next stop, the check-in tent where I give my BIB number (1564) and show my photo ID.  The lady in the tent hands me a white envelope containing my BIB, helmet sticker, bike sticker, ankle strap, timing chip, and safety pins.  The only problem is, I have no idea what to do with any of these things. I'm such a newbie.



10:30am- Pushing the stroller and trying to keep an eye on Noah, we head down the long line of booths towards the gazebo where an informational race meeting is about to begin.  It was strongly suggested that all first time competitors attend.  That would be me.


10:35am- Approximately 300 women are gathered for the meeting where a SheROX official walks us through each leg of the race--the swim, the bike, and the run.  He talks through the rules and stresses time and again, the importance of hydration.  The temperature is already in the high 80s and it is supposed to be up to 93 degrees on Sunday.  I am on information overload and am starting to panic that I'm not going to be able to remember everything.  I'll be the one to forget my swim goggles or my bike helmet.

11am- The meeting is over and as the crowd disperses, I push the stroller back up to the body marking station.  Halfway there, Hubs spots the Luna sponsor tent that has materials out for well-wishers to make signs for the athletes.  We take a few moments for Hubs and Noah to each make a sign and then walk next door to the Toyota tent to register for raffles. Some lucky lady is going to win a pretty amazing road bike. While at the Toyota tent, I pick up a free BIB belt after sitting in a new 2013 Prius.


11:20am- I'm up next for body marking.  The lady in charge takes what looks like a permanent marker and writes my bib number down each of my arms.  Then, she bends over and writes my wave number (24) on my right calf.  This may sound weird, but it all becomes real in that moment.  I now bear the marks of a triathlete.  I am woman.  Hear me roar.


Noon- We stop by Panera for a quick lunch.  The girl at the register sees my body markings and asks if they are tattoos.  I kindly explain that I'm running a triathlon in the morning... and can I please have bread as my side instead of the normal apple.  Make it a double.

2pm- My sister-in-law returns home to her kids and gives me some last minute advice on competing in the tri.  She reiterates the importance of staying hydrated and says I shouldn't stop drinking water even after the race is over.  She loans me two water bottles for the bike leg and says she'll see me at the race in the morning even though little Kaylee is getting baptized at 11am Sunday morning.

2:30pm- Hubs and I stop by the grocery store where I buy 2 more bottles of Powerade Zero (fruit punch flavored) and a big, blue balloon that reads "Go Team!"  I'm hoping the balloon will help me identify my transition area amidst the crowds.

6pm- Hubs is busy mowing the lawn and I am inside organizing and packing my race gear.  I've laid out my swimsuit, running shorts, and flip flops on my dresser.  The rest of my loot is packed in a reusable grocery bag, ready to be laid out at my transition area the next morning.  I've placed my bike on the front porch after decorating the handlebars with a small banner that reads, "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."  The other side reads, "You can do this. Dig deep!"

9pm- After downing copious amounts of water and Powerade Zero, I am ready for bed.  I know I'm going to need to get up early the next morning-- My alarm is set for 5am.  I've rechecked my gear 20 times and had Hubs check and recheck the pressure in my bike tires.  I've read the SheROX athlete manual more times than I can remember.  There is nothing more I can do now, but sleep. 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment