Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Lessons from the Prairie Path

In preparation for this weekend’s SheROX Triathlon, I have been riding my sister-in-law’s TREK mountain bike to work.  It is a 6 mile ride one way or 12 miles roundtrip. 

Besides for honing my cycling skills and giving me a good cardio burn, I’ve picked up some important lessons from riding on the Prairie Path. 

Lesson #1:
 Keep my mouth shut.  This one is hard for me to do, even when I’m by myself.  Yet, it offers multiple benefits.  Such as, it prevents bugs from flying down my throat (I think I’ve swallowed about 20 so far).  And, it helps me tune in to the beautiful soundtrack of the path (i.e. frogs croaking, the wind in the trees, distant traffic, children playing, fellow travelers bidding me a good day).  There is a lot to hear, if one is willing to be quiet for a while.  And I haven’t even mentioned the spiritual implications of taking time for silence.  How many times have I accused God of not communicating with me, only to realize I haven’t taken the time to listen.

Lesson #2:
 Focus on the path ahead.  My first ride on the Prairie Path drove this lesson home.  I was riding along, minding my own business, when all of a sudden I came across a large (disgusting) snake slithering through the gravel.  I swerved last minute to avoid flattening the snake’s middle, but my front wheel caught in a pothole.  I almost flew over the handlebars and I thought I was finished, but I managed to recover and was able to continue on my way as if nothing happened.  It was a humbling experience, but now I know I need to keep my eyes focused on where I’m headed.  It is so easy to be distracted and wind up in treacherous situations. 

Lesson #3:
 I will only move as fast as I’m willing to pedal.  This seems obvious, but every once in a while I need a reminder…  If I want to excel at the triathlon for example, I need to put in the difficult, sweaty hours training.  If I want to get home in time to watch an entire episode of Chopped, I have to pedal in a lower gear at a faster pace.  A lot of people ask me what my weight loss secret is.  They seem to think I have some magic answer and I wish I did, but the truth of the matter is that it takes a lot of hard, tedious work.  You have to be willing to put in the effort.  If you do—The reward is great.

Lesson #4:
I am capable of so much more than I ever imagined.  This is a lesson that has been slowly revealing itself to me over the past year and a half.  As I’ve lost weight and been working out in new ways, I’ve discovered I can handle and finish a lot more than I ever thought I could.  I never thought I’d be able to run.  Now I run up to 4 miles at a time.  I never thought I’d be running up and down stadium stairs, but the other week I ran the equivalent of an 83 story building over my lunch hour.  I never thought I’d be riding my bike to work, let alone competing in a triathlon. 

I realize now that I tend to underestimate myself.  I’ve set my goals too low and I’ve missed out on a lot of experiences just because I didn’t believe in myself.  In other words, I can accomplish a heck of a lot more than I give myself credit for.  When I think about it—I’m pretty amazing.  I understand that may come across as pretty narcissistic, but it’s something I need to hear every once in a while.  I think we all do.  
…That is why the next time I pass someone on the Prairie Path, I am going to tell them they are amazing.

If it just so happens to be you that I pass on the Prairie Path, feel free to wish me luck this Sunday.  Just don’t expect me to take my eyes off of the trail.  I don’t want to run over any snakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment