Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Netflixing

I've been watching a lot of Netflix recently in an effort to ignore my homework. One tv show in particular has caught my attention- Swords: Life on the Line. Have you heard of it?

Swords: Life on the Line was produced by the Discovery Channel and as far as I can tell- has only completed one season. The show is almost exactly the same as Deadliest Catch, except Swords follows commercial sword-fishermen and not crab-ers(?).

I've already finished the entire first season because I always had to know what would happen next. The thing that really drew me in is the fact that swordfish are crazy big- some of the fish were weighing in at 400-500+ pounds. I've never seen fish so huge! There are also a lot of sharks on the show, which I love (I am the biggest Shark Week fan).

The show itself, follows 4 ships (maybe 5- I am blanking now) as they fish the Grand Banks. The Grand Banks are some very dangerous waters off of Newfoundland (where the Titanic sank all those years ago), but they are perfect for swordfishing in the fall.

Have you ever seen the movie-
The Perfect Storm? It is based on the true story of The Andrea Gail, a swordfishing ship that sank during a legendary storm in 1991. One of the boat captains featured on Swords was actually the last person known to have contact with The Andrea Gail before she (the boat) disappeared. Swords puts a lot of emphasis on the fact that swordfishing is incredibly dangerous.

I highly recommend this series. What can I say- this show has me hooked (insert big groan and eye roll).




No comments:

Post a Comment