Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Journey I'm On

Last Friday, an email went out across campus encouraging faculty and staff to visit the gym and focus on getting healthy.  In the email was a quote I had contributed several months ago.  Honestly, I had forgotten all about the quote until I was notified that is was being used last week.  Here it is:

A year and a half ago I was physically a mess; I could barely climb the stairs in my two-story home. Fast forward to this past June and I have successfully completed my first, official triathlon.  By adopting a new lifestyle of healthy eating and regular exercise, I’ve lost over 115 pounds and gone down 10 dress sizes.  What’s more?  I did this all while working at the College full time and finishing my master’s degree.  There’s no secret to my success-- I just decided I wouldn’t allow myself any more excuses and I set attainable goals.   And of course, it doesn’t hurt to have great workout buddies.    

When I came into work on Monday, I started getting a lot of comments from co-workers (all positive and thankful I shared).  The more people commented on how much weight I've lost, the more I began to reflect on it myself.  It will be two years in January that Hubs and I seriously began to monitor our eating and physical activity.  I was 250 pounds when we started and I never thought our efforts were going to be successful.

Flash forward those two years and I now weigh in between 128 and 134.  I run 3-4 miles once or twice a week.  I lift weights, do yoga, pilates, P90X, cycle and swim weekly.  I have completed a 3K, 4 5K races. and a sprint triathlon.  My goal for this calendar year was to be able to do unassisted pull-ups and I am just about there.  I've joined a running club and am looking forward to a 8K in April and then another sprint triathlon in June.  What's more- at one point I was a size 24, but now I wear size 6/small!

As long as I'm bearing all, here are some photos to drive it all home...
















No comments:

Post a Comment