Thursday, September 15, 2011

I Faired Alright

The 2011 Fair has come and gone.  It was truly a great year for the Fair, especially concerning the weather. It was cool and crisp everyday; making my three unbelievable bites of cinnamon roll all the more memorable (I was so good about resisting the Fair food- you would be proud). 

The only downside to the Fair this year--The only truly irritating part of the whole week-- I didn't place with my entries like I thought I was going to.  I received only three 3rd place ribbons; one for my pineapple jam, one for my oatmeal bread and one for my mild salsa.  My banana bread didn't earn any ribbons this year. I don't know what to think about that recipe (a purple ribbon one year and nothing the next- hmmm).  What surprised me most though, was my apple nut muffins because I'm telling you- they were incredibly scrumptious/addicting.

Perhaps the judges were having an off day?  Or maybe they burned their taste buds at the tea & cookies contest prior to judging?  Or maybe...

I highly doubt it. One day while I was sitting at the Ag Land Pavilion listening to a live radio recording- I overheard the DJ interviewing a judge from the Home Arts Building.  Turns out, the guy is a certified master baker. I guess there are less than 200 master bakers in the whole United States (or so he said). Sounded pretty serious.

In the end, there's a choice to be made--Do I sit and pout about only taking home three ribbons (which really isn't too shabby) or do I buck up, act like the adult that I am and move on with my life.

Hmmm...I think I'll sit and pout just a wee bit longer...

And THEN I'll start plotting my revenge against this master baker by baking the most amazingly moist, flavorful, lowfat carrot cake with cream cheese frosting that this world has ever tasted.  I'll serve it to Hubs and he'll lovingly tell me I'm awesome and that I could be a master baker.  I'll tearfully agree and then finally, this whole ridiculous episode will be behind me.... Until next year. 

Hubs heading in Wednesday night

Heifer judging... It's a whole other language.

Mini hay bales for a dollar



The man on the right is 94 years old- still at it.

We love the Fair!

No comments:

Post a Comment