Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Real 8 Seconds

I cannot even begin to tell you how much I love rodeo. If I lived out west and one was available, I would honestly go to the rodeo every weekend. I get such a thrill out of watching all the action. And I’m not just talking about the bull riding—I am talking about watching the horses being groomed before their events, the bulls dancing around in their pens, the cowboys carrying their saddles, the flag girls practicing in the side ring- getting ready for their grand entrance. I also just love the people watching… I like to see if I can pick out the “real” western characters from the tourists who just bought their cowboy hat the day before (mind you, I openly recognize I am sadly part of the second posse).

What’s more, there’s so much that can be learned from rodeo. For instance, “Fast is good, but accurate is better”. I learned that adage by watching the calf roping. “Ride it like ya stole it”… I learned that from the barrel racers- flying past my bench seat on their horses with determination written all over their faces. Then there’s always: “Never kick a cow patty on a hot day” and of course, “Never drink downstream from your horse”. I overheard those two from the man seated next to us at the Mesquite Rodeo (I think he might have been enjoying himself a little too much if you know what I mean). My favorite lesson however, is “Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction.”

Ride ‘em cowboy!










No comments:

Post a Comment