Saturday, January 21, 2012

Sans School

School's out and not just for the summer winter. I'm done! I'm a master... or so I told my nephews. And now life is markedly different. I'm slowly recreating my life into a new normal that doesn't involve night classes, hours in the library, or homework deadlines.

As you might guess, the biggest change in my life thus far has been the lack of intense stress that came with being in school. I no longer have that overhanging sense of dread about upcoming papers or projects. I can hang out with friends and not worry about the reading assignments waiting for me at home. It's sheer bliss.

Not having homework has left me with large chunks of free time.  Naturally, a good chunk of it is now filled with Hubs. I think he likes having me back, but one night he did say that it was nice to have the living room to himself during sports games. I guess I ask too many questions...

I've also been catching up on quality time with my broom and mop. I have so much housework to catch up on, it's embarrassing.  I've been washing walls, floors, windows, I swept the basement, organized my holiday items into different colored containers, treated the cutting board island in the kitchen, washed out the fridge, and rearranged the pantry.  Last Saturday morning I even woke up early (8am) and rearranged the upstairs guest room and craft room.  I actually had time to pull out my craft items and organize my craft desk.

Of course, my new found free time is much more productive now that I've started working out (cardio three times a week and yoga three times a week).  I feel like I've downed copious amounts of Red Bull.  I can only stay seated for so long before I want to be up doing something.  Perfect example, I am catching up on my pleasure reading (woo hoo), but instead of reading for 3-4 hours curled up on the couch like I used to, now I have to break it up with activity like doing the dishes, laundry, impromptu dance moves, or shoveling the sidewalk (like I did this morning after yesterday's crazy snowstorm).

Speaking of reading, that is another big change.  I love to read and now I can read whatever I want, whenever I want.  I read the entire trilogy of The Hunger Games in two days.  Now I am reading The Devil in the White City, to be followed by The Corner of Bitter and Sweet.  I also threw in another reading of Emma, Sanditon, Northanger Abbey, Pride and Prejudice, and Mansfield Park.  What can I say, I love Jane Austen to pieces.

Lastly, I've been doing a lot more cooking.  Specifically, I've been cooking items I can freeze and then pull out for weeknight dinners.  Almost all the recipes I make come from skinnytaste.com, which should be a surprise to no one.  I cannot sing Gina's praises enough.  Just this morning I made her skinny chocolate chip buttermilk scones and let me tell you... HEAVEN!

I pray you have a blessed, active, stress-free weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment