Friday, January 6, 2012

One Year Today!

One year ago today, Hubs asked me to join him in a healthy eating adventure. I will admit, I didn't want to do it. I wasn't happy with my body, but at the same time, I didn't want to put in the effort that was going to be required. I remember I told him I didn't want to constantly have to think about what I was eating.  At the same time, I didn't want him to have to do it alone. I knew we would stand a better chance if we shared the journey.

When we started, I was weighing in at a whopping 250 pounds. As a direct result of my weight, I was struggling with asthma, using only 25% of my lung capacity. Every time I climbed the stairs in our house, I was huffing and puffing by the time I reached the landing. In addition, I was having significant lower back pain and my left thigh would randomly become numb from a pinched nerve. Perhaps most hurtful however, Hubs and I were diagnosed as infertile, not for a specific reason, but just because we had surpassed the allotted time for "trying" without conceiving.My doctor told me that the first defense against infertility would be shedding the pounds. Overall, I was just a mess. 

I've spent a lot of time reflecting on how I got to that depressing point.I think eating out was a huge culprit. Working and taking classes became great excuses to stop at fast food restaurants for a quick burger and fries. And when Hubs and I were home, it seemed easier to pop in a couple of pizzas or whip up some boxes of mac and cheese, than it was to plan out a healthy meal. I was lazy and full of excuses. Following these patterns, I gradually put on the pounds. It all happened so gradually really, I didn't realize how big I gotten until I was tipping the scales at 200 pounds. When I reached that point, it seemed too daunting to turn it around.

It took Hubs to get me to try, but I really owe him so much more... He made it possible for me to stick with the plan. It was his encouragement that helped me translate eating good food and exercising into a new lifestyle rather than just a short-lived diet or fad. Hubs held me accountable and he literally ran beside me when we started exercising, telling me I could do it (all while I ranted and raved).

Hubs has lost a good deal of his own weight, but that's not mine to reveal. What I can tell you is that after one year of changing my diet, taking the train/walking to work, starting to run, completing two races, taking up cycling, and yoga... I no longer struggle with my asthma. I no longer have any lower back pain or numbness in my thigh. I have gone down 10 dress sizes. I can run four miles without stopping. I have so much energy I have a hard time sitting down to watch TV.  Hubs and I only eat out about once every two weeks. AND.... drumroll please.

I have lost a whopping 100 pounds! I met my goal three days ago and it was all I could do not to announce it to the world right there and then. It is shocking to think that a year ago I weighed 250 pounds and now- here I am at 150. I feel good. No wait, I feel awesome!

What's next for me? Well, I am definitely sticking with my new lifestyle. Hubs and I recently signed up for the IronMan Challenge at my workplace. We have two months to complete a full IronMan- 26.2 miles running, 2 miles swimming, and 112 miles cycling. In the last two days, I logged 10 miles cycling and 3.2 miles running.  This workout should be great training for my upcoming sprint triathlon. That's right, I am signed up for the SheRox Sprint Triathlon on June 10th. A sprint triathlon involves swimming half a mile, cycling 14 miles, and running a 5K. Hopefully in the process of training for the SheRox, I will continue to lose a little more weight and get fit. I would say that is my goal for 2012--to get fit and continue to be a healthier person.

Please, grab some carrot sticks and a tall glass of ice water and help me celebrate.



No comments:

Post a Comment