Monday, July 9, 2012

Race Day- The Final Chapter

This is way overdue, but I want to make sure I wrap this up properly.  And so here goes...

Once I had crossed the finish line, I was completely pooped.  My legs were shaking and I felt completely spent.  I was elated, but physically wiped out. 

After greeting Hubs and my friends, I suggested we sit down under a tree, so I could catch my breath.  It was good timing because the event's MC was just about to announce the raffle winners (all participants were automatically entered).  Unfortunately, my BIB number wasn't called, but I enjoyed the downtime and we were at the perfect location to watch the rest of the competitors cross the finish line and greet their loved ones.  There were some really poignant moments. 

After the raffle winners were announced, the MC moved on to the division winners.  A large whoop went up from the crowd when the overall winner was announced, Jennifer G. with a time of 1 hour and 7 minutes.  Amazing.  The girl was flying. 

By the time that was all done, Hubs was ready to go and so was I.  I was HUNGRY, which was crazy because all I had been doing was drinking and downing energy gels.  Still, I wanted sustenance and consarnit- I had earned it.

We headed over to the transition area, which was mostly empty at that point.  I pulled all of my stuff together and shoved it into my reusable grocery bag.  Then, with Hubs carrying my bag and my friend pushing my bike- we made our way across town to the parking garage were coincidentally, both our cars had been parked.  Walking across downtown Naperville, wearing my medal and my tri headband, I felt like a victorious queen.  As ludicrous as it was to be walking through the shopping district in my bathing suit and a medal, I loved it.  Complete strangers were congratulating me and cheering me one.  It was a surreal moment. 

At the parking garage, we said goodbye to my friend and headed off to find food.  For some reason I couldn't shake the idea of a spinach and feta omelet.  Hubs hadn't eaten much all morning, so he was up for whatever.  Half an hour later I was eating the best spinach and feta omelet in the world.  I had splurged and ordered hashbrowns as a side, in addition to some assorted melon.  I don't even remember what Hubs ordered, I was so fixated on my own plate.

With the food gone, we headed over to our newest niece's baptism lunch.  We had missed the actual ceremony, but had promised to make an appearance afterward.  We showed up just in time for the buffet line to be opened.  Needless to say, we skipped the line and focused on our niece.  She's the cutest little butterball- 98th percentile in weight.  So precious. 

After about half an hour of small talk, my head was starting to hurt.  A half and hour after that, I felt like I had a full blown migraine.  I made eye contact with Hubs and indicated I needed to leave.  I must have looked pretty miserable because he popped right out of his chair and announced we were headed out.  It was a long, miserable car ride home.  When I finally made it through the door, I went straight to the couch and laid down.  As far as I can remember, I spent the rest of the day on the couch.

I later learned I was probably suffering from dehydration sickness.  I thought I had been drinking enough water, but obviously not.  It was a rough end to a great day.  The next morning though, I did feel a lot better and I was only slightly sore.  I wasn't quite ready to jump right back into my normal workout routine, but I did go out and walk the track.  It felt good to be walking and stretching out my muscles.  I think it was Thursday then, that I was completely back to normal with my exercise.

*Note for next year--Drink way more water and Gatorade.  Then, when I think I've had enough- drink a bit more.  
*Another note for next year-- Take swimming lessons.
* Yet another note for next year-- YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment